Gause Law Offices Is Devoted Solely To Criminal Defense
Our Approach to Every Case
At the Gause Law Offices PLLC, we truly fight for our clients. We have garnered a reputation in the legal community for being aggressive and diligent in defending our clients.
We do this by:
- Reviewing all discovery with you, working with you to devise an investigation plan and craft the most effective defense strategy;
- Conducting an extensive investigation, including well-prepared interviews with all state witnesses;
- Filing persuasive motions to dismiss the case or to suppress evidence;
- Aggressively negotiating with the prosecutor - a plea bargain must actually be a bargain (a substantial reduction in severity of charges or length of sentence) or we go to trial and make the Government prove every element;
- Presenting a mitigation package including letters from family, friends and employers;
- Devising winning trial strategy that includes a cohesive theme from jury selection, to opening, to cross examination and finally to closing argument.
I knew that I was destined to be a criminal defense attorney at seven years old when my mother told me that I should be a lawyer because I argue so much. Throughout my life, I watched people I loved get chewed up and spit out by the criminal justice system and that cemented my passion for defending those accused of crimes in our complicated court system.
I studied Political Science and Criminal Justice at Washington State University. I then attended Seattle University School of Law to fulfill my dreams of becoming a criminal defense attorney. During law school I interned with the Associated Counsel for the Accused, a public defender agency in King County. I then interned with the Honorable Wesley St. Clair in the King County Juvenile Court as a clerk. I finished my final year as an intern with the Federal Public Defenders office in the Western District of Washington. I also received the highest grade in the class for Evidence at Seattle University School of Law and am an expert on evidence issues in trial.
I have been practicing criminal defense since I graduated from law school. I am committed to practicing in this area forever because I thoroughly enjoy helping my clients and their families navigate the complicated and scary charges against them. In my first job as a lawyer, I worked for Feldman and Lee primarily handling municipal public defense contracts. I have also taken private cases ranging in severity from as a simple shoplifting case to a felony drug case and everything in between. I gained invaluable experience as a public defender handling thousands of cases and taking many cases to trial. I have handled hundreds of domestic violence cases and DUI’s. My expertise on these cases caused me to become the trial trainer for all of the new associates hired by the firm.
After leaving Feldman and Lee, I became a partner with Choi Capital Law running the Criminal Law Department before joining the team at Gause Law Offices, PLLC. At Choi Capital Law, I handled many domestic violence cases and resolved every single one of those cases with some sort of dismissal. In the only trial during that time period, I received a deadlocked jury verdict which led the prosecutor to dismiss the charges against my client. I also handled multiple felony cases and resolved every felony down to a misdemeanor or less.
Now an attorney at Gause Law Offices, I continue to take pride in diligently preparing every case I handle. I start every case by making sure that my clients fully understand the charges against them, the potential consequences, the steps and process the case will go through, and, most importantly, what matters most to my client in resolving the case. I then review the discovery with a fine tooth comb and make sure to interview every witness or party to the case. I always prepare my cases for trial even though a vast majority of cases resolve prior to trial, my preparedness helps to get my clients the best resolutions possible through informed negotiations. I have won trials and had hundreds of cases dismissed for my clients that are innocent. I have also helped hundreds of clients get a better deal that resulted in them getting treatment or help for the issues causing their criminal behavior instead of jail time. There is no criminal case that would not benefit from the assistance of a compassionate, thorough, and aggressive defense attorney’s representation.
- J.D. Seattle University School of Law
- B.A. Political Science, Washington State University
- B.A. Criminal Justice, Washington State University
- Recipient of the National Order of the Barrister’s Award, 2013
- Member of Regional Mock Trial Competition Team
- Recipient of Scholarship at Washington State University
- CALI Award for Excellence: Evidence Fall 2012
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Washington Defender Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Snohomish County Bar Association